Monday, November 9, 2020

Horror Strikes Out!

It's a new film quiz! This one looks very tricky - it's baseball-horror themed, and I don't know anything about baseball.

1) Ricky Vaughan or Nuke LaLoosh? (question courtesy of our main Maine monster, Patrick Robbins)

I said, I don't know anything about baseball! But you've got to love a name like Nuke LaLoosh.

2) Best moment in the Friday the 13th film series.

Also, I've never watched any Friday the 13th films.

3) Henry Hull or Oliver Reed?

Uncle Frank and Athos - Oliver Reed.

4) What is the last movie you saw in a theater?

In the pandemic?!? Just joking, we don't go to movie theaters.

5) Best movie casting for a real-life baseball player, or best casting of a real-life baseball player in a movie.

Gary Cooper in Damn Yankees. What - I told you know don't know anything about baseball or baseball movies.

6) D.B. Sweeney or Ray Liotta?

Haven't seen Sweeney in anything, as far as I can tell. Ray Liotta has a small part in Smokin' Aces, so him.

7) Given that the fear factor in 2020 is already alarmingly high, is there a film or a genre which you would hesitate to revisit right now?

Although Ms. Spenser like horror more than me, she goes pretty easy on me. So most of what we've watched we would watch again (if it was good). 

Sometimes movies with crowds make me a little nervous, but it's not that bad,

8) The Natural (1984)-- yes or no?

Did not see.

9) Peter Cushing or Colin Clive?

Clive for Dr. Frank, Cushing for body of work.

10) What’s the lamest water-cooler hit you can think of? Of course, define “lamest” however you will, but for “water-cooler hit” Dr. Savaard is thinking about something zeitgeist-y, something everyone was talking about the weekend it opened and beyond, something everyone seemingly had to see—The Other Side of Midnight residing at #1 in 1977 for two weeks is not what the professor has in mind.

Ms. Spenser says: Happyness. In the same vein, I thought of Crash.

11) Greatest single performance in horror movie history.

Boris Karloff, in The Black Cat. The scene where he sits up in bed, next to the sleeping beauty is so striking.

12) Ingrid Pitt or the Collinson Twins?

I'm not a Hammerhead, but Pitt has a certain something. 

13) Name one lesser-known horror film that you think everyone should see. State your reason.

How about language-is-a-virus zombie movie Pontypool? I'm not sure it's actually for everyone, though. How about Annihilation?

14) Do the same for an underseen or underappreciated baseball movie.

OK, here's a baseball movie question I can answer: Rhubarb. It's the story of a cat, Rhubarb, who inherits a baseball team. The cat is played by Orangey, also seen in Comedy of Terrors, and The Incredible Shrinking Man

I saw this as a kid hoe sick from school on Dialing for Dollars. It's stuck to me all this time

15) William Bendix or Leslie Nielsen?

Bendix for so many reasons, like Jeff in The Glass Key. "He went and t'rowed another Joe."

16) Would you go back to a theater this weekend if one reopened near you?

Ha! I'd rather lick the floor of a 2019 movie theater than attend one now. Also, we never go to the movies.

17) Your favorite horror movie TV show/host, either running currently or one from the past.

Can I say Count Floyd? If not, Mr, Lobo from Cinema Insomnia. We never saw him on TV, but he sometimes co-hosts Foothill College's Psychotronic Film Festivals - 16-mm fun for the whole family. 

18) The Sentinel (1977)—yes or no?

Never heard of it, but it looks bonkers.

19) Second-favorite Ron Shelton movie.

I've only seen Bull Durham, so there is no second favorite.

20) Disclaimer warnings attached to  broadcasts of films like Gone With the Wind and Blazing Saddles-- yes or no?

This is actually a tough question. Maybe before all movies - except ones I approve of.

21) In the World Series of baseball movies, who are your NL and AL champs?

I still don't watch baseball movies.

22) What was the last horror film you saw?

Depends on what you mean by "horror". We watched the DVD double-feature Invisible Man Returns and The Invisible Woman. I think the first counts, the second is really a comedy, not even comedy-horror.

23) Geena Davis or Tatum O’Neal?

I suspect O'Neal is a stronger actor, but I might not have ever seen her in anything. I haven't seen a lot of Davis, but I just like her wide-mouthed charm.

24) AMC is now renting theaters for $100 - $350, promising a more “private,” catered party-movie experience. What do you like or dislike about this idea? 

It's fine if you like that kind of thing. I'll watch at home, thanks.

25) Name the scariest performance in a baseball movie.

Sigh.

26) Second-favorite Jack Arnold movie.

I'm going to say The Mouse that Roared. First is, of course, Space Children (MST3K version).

27) What would be the top five films of 2020 you’ve seen so far?

28) What are your top three pandemic-restricted movie viewing experiences so far in this... unusual year?

I'm going to say watching all the Marx Bros movies on discs we've bought, all of the Thin Man movies from the boxed set we ordered, and The Mad Miss Manton, which we also now own.

Ms. Spenser says watching the Alien movies and Prometheus, in her Weyland-Yutani tee-shirt - which she wears all the time because she doesn't have to dress for work.

And now the host has put his answers up! Read them all!

No comments: