Saturday, January 14, 2017

Blue Lunch


As part of my never-ending quest to find the elusive "Cosmo for boys", I present the Ice Blue Pink. Sadly, it appears to be more pink than blue, so men will never accept it.

It is based on a nip of blueberry (or "blaberi") liqueur that Ms. Spenser's friend brought back from Iceland. I took a few sips and found it quite sweet, too sweet to drink alone. But not too sweet for a new cocktail.

With gin as my base liquor, I followed the "1 sweet, 1 sour, 2 strong" rule:

Ice Blue Pink

1 jigger Gin
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. Reykjavik Distillery Blueberry Liqueur

Shake over ice and strain.

Too bad that the color isn't right, but the taste is delicious.

In researching Iceland and the color blue, I did discover the Blue Lagoon, a hot springs near Reykjavik. It's local name is Bláa lónið, which translates as "blue sustenance" or "blue lunch". Not an auspicious name for a drink.

No comments: