Monday, June 10, 2013

Evil Dead Cabin

Ms. Spenser popped over from Florida for a weekend in Tahoe, like any gad-about socialite. While she was home, we watched one of the girly movies she likes:  The Cabin in the Woods (2011). I was pretty hesitant - what if I got scared? Would it give me nightmares? But she really wanted to see it (again - she has seen it in FL), so I gave it a shot.

Basically, it is the story of 5 teens who go to a spooky cabin in the woods out beyond civilization and cellphone reception. If they get into trouble, no one will ever know - except the shadowy, sarcastic government bureaucrats who are spying on their every move.

Not only is this a tribute to scary cabin movies, it is also a parody, and it is also damn scary. I don't watch a lot of horror, but this reminds me a lot of The Evil Dead. About the same amount (and type) of humor, of self-awareness and, of course, scariness.

And... about here I'm going to stop writing because I don't want to be too spoilery, even though everyone who is going to watch this probably already has. Also, the "secret" isn't really that important to the film (I'm not even sure it's a very good secret). But still, there's not much more I can say without giving stuff away, so I'll just fade out here.

I'm not the best audience for this, I suppose, since I haven't watched enough horror to get all the meta stuff. But I thought it was great.

No comments: