Thursday, February 9, 2023

Slinging the Booze

 What makes a Singapore Sling? The original recipe from the Raffles Hotel is lost, but the current recipe is something like gin, lime juice (and possible other tropical juices), triple sec, Cherry Heering and Benedictine. When it was invented, drinks based on gin, juice and a sweetener were called "Straits Slings". What makes the Raffles version a "Singapore Sling" is the cherry and the Benedictine. 

It's not clear whether the original used Cherry Heering, which has lower alcohol and a strong cherry flavor, or kirsch cherry brandy, more alcohol, less cherry. I don't have either - I soaked a handful of dried cherries in vodka, for a very alcoholic, very cherry infusion (little jar below).

But I got to thinking - I wonder what these two magic ingredients would taste like on their own? Also, I had used up all my gin. So I made a little shot with one part Benedictine, 2 parts cherry infusion. 

It was a delightful dessert-like sipper. Of course, there are probably infinite combinations of liqueurs that would work. For ex, I made myself a shot of 1/2 Chartreuse, 1/2 Galliano. It was also great. But I like the idea of a Singapore Sling without the Sling. 

Edited to add: It is only much later that I realized the name for this Benedictine/cherry concoction should be: the Slingshot.

No comments: