Monday, March 21, 2022

Cut Chemistry

I was in the library the other day (looking for DVDs of the Great British Baking Show) when I noticed that they had a Blu-Ray of Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021). We had some time that weekend, so now I've seen the Snyder cut.

I guess the story is that Zack Snyder shot most of the movie, but before he could finish, he had to leave. So Joss Whedon took over and reshot most of it, and cut out enough to make the movie ~90 minutes, When the Whedon version tanked, people started agitating for WB to "Release the Snyder cut." Long story short, HBO eventually paid to have the Snyder cut released, and let him shoot even more, resulting in a four-hour movie that matched his vision.

But you can read about that anywhere. You want to know what I think, right? Well, I liked it. Of course, I liked the Whedon cut as well. But the Snyder cut is a lot easier to follow - the villains' stories are easier to follow. Also, Cyborg's (Ray Fisher) story is more fleshed out. It was one of the things Whedon cut the heaviest, which is too bad, because he's new and needs some exposition. Also, him and his dad (Joe Morton) are the only actors of color featured. I think the first reason is why Whedon trimmed the role, and I hope it's not the second.

On the other hand, the tone and palette are darker, more grim. I liked the Whedon version because it got back, at least a little, to the idea of colorful, idealistic heroic heroes. My favorite scene from the Whedon cut is the first Wonder Woman scene, with a little "bullets and bracelets". Snyder includes it, but but it's darker, not as joyful - you don't get as much Gal Gadot posing in golden sunlight. Still, it looks like Snyder shot the bullets and bracelets, and Snyder left it in.

Snyder did cut out the scene where Batman goes trolling for parademons by dangling a crook off a rooftop. I thought that scene worked well as exposition - also kind of fun in a grim way.

Then there were the endings. The Snyder cut seemed to go on and on, ending after ending. Then there's an epilog, showing a dystopian future where the Joker works with Justice League, minus a bunch who got killed, plus the Martian Manhunter. This is the setup for a sequel that I assume will never be made. Maybe too bad, maybe not...

I guess I like the Snyder cut better, but glad I saw the Whedon first. Glad they both made it.

No comments: