Sunday, March 22, 2009

Movie Time!

I've added a little side bar over to the right called "Movie Time". It shows links to a few movie theaters (or "theatres") that I want to keep up to date on.

You know, I never go to the movies. I always watch DVDs (or sometimes tapes) at home. The advantages are obvious. No loud talkers, no screaming kids, and I can pause to go to the bathroom or mix a drink. Heck, you can't even get beverage service in most movie theaters.

But I used to go to a lot of movies. We used to go to the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline 2-3 times a week, for a samurai double feature. When we moved to CA, I went to the Bijou in Palo Alto, now Gordon-Biersch Brewery and the Palo Alto, now Borders Bookstore. Also, a little place whose name I can't remember, where the first few rows were beanbag chairs, now an Italian restaurant or something.

I still go to the Stanford sometimes - an amazing rejuvenated movie palace playing an amazing repertory lineup, supported by the Packard Foundation. There's even a mighty Wurlitzer that plays between films and during silents.

Reading the film blogs, I get the sense of a great film appreciation culture. I've spotlighted 3 theaters that I've never been to, but want to:
  • New Beverly: great repertory
  • Egyptian: home of the American Cinematheque
  • Mission Tiki: Last of the great drive-ins?
I have friends in So. CA. Someday I'll visit these thaters.

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

There's something special about seeing a movie in a theater . . . but NOT with a boorish audience. The art houses that run the indy films tend to have the best audiences (like the Coolidge). If I see a movie I love, I often make an effort to see it again before it leaves the theaters.

Speaking of the Coolidge, I saw West Side Story there just last week.