Thursday, January 3, 2008

Help! I Need Some Movie that will Play All the Way Through

I spent New Year's Eve with my sister and her family. She has a 1-movie subscription to Netflix, and on my recommendation had ordered Help! for the occasion. All went fine until the "End of Part One", then the DVD started skipping, halting, playing sound only, etc. Investigation showed a badly scratched disk.

No need to say, the evening was ruined. The nephews, who had been coaxed into watching this ancient artifact and had just started to enjoy it, drifted back to their video games and Cartoon Networks. The adults resumed drinking.

Of course, we reported the scratched disk. I wanted to crack it in half to make sure they didn't rent it out again, but I refrained. I hope they withdraw this disk from circulation, but will they?

I wanted to point out the peril of scratched disks, and the moral: Always have a backup selection on hand. Then, I realized that this is a silly, trivial problem. So, Happy New Year, everyone!

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

Did you try playing the DVD backwards or at a slower speed? Because the Beatles, you know . . . aw, never mind. Happy new year!