Sunday, January 13, 2008

Harry Potter's Army

My main complaint about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is that it is only about 2 hours long. It's a great experience to get so wrapped up in a film that after 2 hours, you are wondering when the next installment will come out.

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, so I can't say I appreciate the movies properly. But they seem to me to be nearly perfect - the cast is great, especially the "children", the sets/CGI are truly magical, and the emotional issues just get under my skin, tuning into my high-school hindbrain.

I've got some complaints - Cho is so underdeveloped that she might as well be dropped. Harry's potential turn to the dark side seems very unlikely - at worst he gets a little peevish, scarcely evil. He's kind of like Peter Parker that way. And of course, there's the feeling that so much is being left out.

But I loved the Pink Floyd's The Wall style educational critique. The little political digs at conservative educational theory ("passing tests is what education is about"). Professor Umbridge is a lovely villain, maybe more frightening then He-who-must-not, because we've all run into her or one of her kin.

No comments: