Monday, December 31, 2007

Lavender Hill

As I have mentioned, my nickname isn't really Cool Bev, it's Fruity Bev. I've even been called a girl-drink drunk. But this recipe will make my pomegranate cosmo look as manly as a long-necked Bud.

So, for New Year's Eve: Champagne with lavender-lime neige, which I call: The Lavender Hill

Juice of 6 limes
~6 tsp sugar
12 clean lavender blossoms (organic by preference, but food grade at least)

Bring to a light boil and remove from the heat to steep until cool. Pour through a sieve to remove the flowers.

This lavender-lime syrup can be used for a number of purposes, but we are going to put it in a freezable container in the freezer. As it freezes, stir with a fork to "fluff" it up, breaking up large crystals. When it is entirely frozen, it will be a fluffy lavender-colored snow, or "nieve" as the French say.

Form snowballs of the nieve, and drop into flutes of well-chilled sparkling wine. It doesn't have to be expensive, but should be reasonably dry.

Enjoy while discussing Evelyn Waugh and Oscar Wilde. You can serve use soda instead of sparking wine for teetotalers or epicene youths.

And - Happy New Year's Eve!

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

I followed your recipe to the letter and dropped the little snowballs into a long-necked Bud. The perfect complement to barbecued pork rinds. I'll keep this in mind for the Super Bowl.