Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Deadly Violets

When I wrote a little while ago about the Aviation cocktail, I mentioned that it could be made with a little creme de violette. I now have a bottle of Rothman and Winter creme de violette, and I've tried it. It's a little tricky - certain ratios seem to cancel out the flavor. The color is the same way, something between pearly opalescent gray and dishwater. I'm not sure it improves the taste, but it's great for the concept.

My last run-in with violet liqueur was in the 80's. My great-uncle Eddy had left his collection of nip bottles to the family. It included the KLM Delft-style rowhouses filled with Vandermint, and a little Japanese doll filled with something violet.

That New Year's Eve, I tried mixing this violet fluid with champagne. And drinking it.

It was actually very pretty and quite tasty. The next day I felt very very bad.

Possibly, the stuff was old and spoiled. It might not have been very good in the first place (I haven't been able to find out what it was - not even on the internet). Maybe mixing sweet liqueur with cheap American champagne is just a bad idea. Maybe I just drank too much.

So it took a lot of courage to try this again, but I did. The color isn't as good as I remember. It makes a kind of steely gray. So I'll name the drink after Derek Zoolander's famous look:

Blue Steel

Flute of champagne
1/2 oz creme de violette

No comments: