Thursday, June 13, 2013

By Popular Quest

I watched The Quest because of Film Sack podcast. I'm not trying to shift the blame or anything. If anything, I have to admit that I was warned.

Basically, Jean Claude van Damme plays a white-face mime and stilt walker in 1920s Paris. Wait, what? Don't worry, it is all made clear. No, wait again, it isn't. Anyway, his old pal Roger Moore (yes, that one) takes him to go to Thailand, where he is sold into slavery in a Muay Thai village (possibly a village called Muay Thai, the dubbing wasn't that clear). From there, he decides to enter the worldwide martial arts Tenka Ichi Budo Kai (wait, that's Dragonball...) and win the golden dragon so that he can save the orphanage (no, that's Blues Brothers. Wait, I checked the podcast, it's this movie too).

This is where it really gets good. We get a variety of opponents in their national styles: bare knuckle American, flamenco fighting Spaniards, sumo style Japanese, capoeira dancing Brazilians, and a kung fu Chinese. Did I miss the high-kicking Frenchman, or did they? I forget.

Really, I forget a lot of this movie. Aside from the WTF-ness and the forgetableness, this is a pretty well-made silly action movie. Since JCvD wrote and directed as well as starred, kudos to him.

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

One of the Netflix customer reviewers said " Van Damme is ripped like Jesus." That alone is reason to watch it.