Wednesday, October 31, 2012

In the Beginning

For some reason, I started to get psyched for the new Batman movie. Since I never go to the theater, that won't happen for a while. So I re-watched Batman Begins.

The part where young Bruce sees his mother and father gunned down by a random mugger has to be included, I guess. I think it's hard to make it feel fresh, after all of the re-hashes. But the next segment finds Bruce Wayne all grown up in a Tibetan prison, fighting thugs for the guards enjoyment. It seems that he has been roaming the world, getting into trouble and learning the ways of the underworld. Soon, a mysterious stranger gets him out of prison and into a martial arts monastery for some real training. This is one of my favorite parts - it isn't in the canon that I know, and does feel fresh.

I don't think any of the rest is as good, but it is still plenty good. It's funny how this relates to the Burtonesque series of Batmovies that came before it. Batman Begins still has the cartoonish Art Deco sets, but the campy comedy is almost gone. The last trace of it has got to be Christian Bale's haircut as Bruce Wayne. I can't believe that was supposed to be taken seriously. It wasn't cool when young Steve Jobs wore it, it isn't cool here.

But once he gets into Batman gear, it gets dead serious. Probably the best Batman yet, although the competition is a little odd - Clooney? Kilmer? Keaton?!?!

Also, Michael Caine: second best Alfred (Alan Napier from the Adam West TV series was iconic). Gary Oldman was a pretty good Jim Gordon (only a sergeant as yet), too. Also, the whole rest of the cast - all great, except maybe Katie Holmes in a thankless romantic interest role.

No breakout like Heath Ledger's Joker, but a great superhero movie.

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

My favorite of all the Batman movies.

The one from the 60s is fun to watch, btw. Adam West is not exactly a Dark Knight, though.