Sunday, October 28, 2012

Campy Comedy

British comedy covers a lot of ground, from Oscar Wilde to Monty Python to Benny Hill. Somewhere around Benny Hill, you find the Carry On series. I've seen a few, and Carry on Camping may be the best. It may also be the last one I watch.

The basic premise of the Carry On series is to take a bunch of horny men and scantily clad pretties, put them in situations, add double entendres and roll. In this outing, series regular Sid James and buddy Bernard Bresslaw want to take their girls camping at a nudist colony. While the camp turns out to be disappointingly clothed, there are a busload of school girls to ease the pain.

You know, this should be just my cup of tea - stupid, sexist jokes, dumb blokes, pretty birds, etc. But I am beginning to think I just can't hack it. Of course you can see that punchline coming from miles away, that's not the problem. The problem is that you have so much time to see it coming. With jokes this bad, there has to be a lot more of them.

I did enjoy seeing all the familiar faces - you'll feel like you know half of these characters even if you've never seen them before. But I might have seen enough (after about 3).

Well, maybe one or two more.

No comments: