Saturday, October 20, 2012

Assembly

Before I get into my post for The Avengers (2012), permit me to go meta for a paragraph. When I write a post on a movie, I try to be pithy - keep it short so people will read it, plus, so it doesn't take too long to write. I want it to be entertaining, of course, and informative (which for me means getting the actors' names right). In particular, I want to be original: I want to say something you won't read elsewhere, or at least not everywhere else.

For a movie like The Avengers that everyone has seen and every blogger commented on, that isn't easy. Especially if you have watched it with the most brain-absent, popcorn-munching, mind-blank attitude that I did. What can I say? The Avengers was great, meeting the expectations that have been building up for the last several Marvel movies. But you already knew that. What else can I say?

  • It was a bit busy, like most of this Marvel crop, trying to pull together a peck of plot points in a pint of film. That's especially tough with a 8-10 heroes and a few villains.
  • The problem of the heroes' disparate powers is handled well: They split into pairs:
    • Thor and Hulk, whose powers are transcendant
    • Iron Man and Capt. America, augmented human powers
    • Black Widow and Hawkeye, plain humans, just darned good
    Then there's the SHIELD agents: Most bad-ass Nick Fury and Bob-Newhart-like Agent Coulson. And they make it all come together.
  • I love Robert Downey, Jr's take on Tony Stark, but he was a little too much this time, always with the wise-cracks
  • Scarlett Johansonn as Black Widow, on the other hand, looks good, but strikes me as static and vacant. Too bad, because I've read a lot about how her non-super-powered, female character was the key to the movie. Well, she didn't stand up to Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter from Captain America, in my opinion.(I guess her character is dead or old in this time frame. Oh well.)
  • In a cast of amazingly handsome guys (Evans, Hemsworth), it was interesting to see Mark Ruffalo  and Jeremy Renner cast as Bruce Banner and Hawkeye. They are fine actors, but lumpy in the face, like Michael J. Pollard. 
And that's about it. Great movie, one that I expect to buy and watch a few more times. What else can I say?

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

You are right, it was busy. And it bothered me that Captain America has caught on to 21st century technology much quicker and better than I. That one scene when Iron Man was shouting instructions to him, I'd be, "What? The what? Where? Dude, you're gonna have to come down here and show me!"