Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It was a Dark and Stormy...

I'm on holiday in New England, and have just been re-introduced to the great cocktail, the Dark and Stormy:

Fill a highball glass with ice
Add 1 shot Gosling's Black Seal Rum (No other rum allowed)
Fill with ginger beer (3-4 oz.s)

I understand this is a tropical drink, specifically Bermudan. But I always see it advertised in Boston bars in the winter. Possibly based on the name, possibly based on the New England taste for rum. But it is also a very warming drink, especially if the ginger beer is strong and spicy.

I find that a 4-pack of ginger beer is about sufficient for a fifth of rum. Try some tonight.

2 comments:

mr. schprock said...

You forgot a key ingredient: the sap that knocks you to the floor right after draining the glass. Just kidding! Fans, Mr. Spenser can mix a beauty, heavy on the sturm, easy on the drang. This reviewer had one of Bev's Dark and Stormies last night: the ginger tickled my schnoz and the rum warmed my heart. Mix in a generous amount of good conversation and what you've got is one great cocktail, mister. Using a rating system I've developed on my own, I give it 4.5 shots, 5 nuts and 2 olives.

DW said...

Did you see that link (or was it another one of my internet wild goose chases?) which recommended an easily-made ginger beer instead of the commercial stuff? if not, I should send it your way.