Monday, May 21, 2018

Matrix Algebra

I think we’re doing some kind of Keanu Reeves retrospective. So we’re rewatching The Matrix (1999).

I don't really have much to say about it. The movie-making holds up, I think. The special effects, which were pretty special at the time, are now widely used. But they don't seem dumb here, they look great. Keanu is at the height of his Keanu-ness here. This is four years after Johnny Mnemonic - a somewhat similar role in a similar film, but now Reeve's seems to be in control of his instrument.

This time around, the plot seemed kind of random - I think it might make more sense dramatically if you don't already know what is what. I remember thinking how perfectly it worked the first time I saw it. This time not so much.

I've heard a rumor that there are sequels to this movie, and that I watched them. I assume that this is an illusion of the matrix.

No comments: