Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Spoiler in the Title

I've been doing my best to read as little as possible about John Dies at the End (2012) to avoid spoilers. OK, there's one spoiler you can't avoid. But you might want to skip this one until you've seen it. Not so much because of the twists and surprises, just so that you go into it fresh.

No? Well, I warned you. It's about Dave Wong and his friend John. They are slackers who do some ghostbusting on the side - nothing serious, they usually bring in celebrity psychic Clancy Brown when things get serious. Anyway, John gets into some serious junk called "soy sauce", which does odd things to your brain. Also, time and space.

I should note that Dave Wong and John Cheese are real people, although those aren't their real names. They are editors for Cracked.com (which I guess is a lot better than the old Cracked magazine was). They are played by Chase Williamson and Rob Mayes. John is the one who fronts a punk band, Dave is the one who rescues him when he's strung out on sauce.

Don Coscarelli (Bubba Ho-Tep) directs, and I would say he does a great job with the creepy Cronenbergian aspects of the movie. I understand that the Book is Better, but isn't it always? The trick of a drug that makes you in some way omniscient is handled well here, as opposed to Paycheck, say, where it just didn't. So you get a little bit of Odd Thomas (the ghostbusting), a little bit of Limitless, some Naked Lunch, but for the kids, and away we go.

By the way, we've been watching the Limitless TV series, and it's pretty fun too.

OK, I think I got through this without many spoilers. So what would you say if I told you that John actually dies ... in the middle!

No comments: