Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rom-Com Romp

First, in case anyone noticed, I've been on vacation - hence the break in blogging. Second, and as a consequence, the next few posts may seen a little vague, since it's been a long time since I saw the dang movies I'm trying to write about. But that's probably no different than most posts.

So, Nadine (1987). Kim Basinger is Nadine, a 1950s beautician in Austin TX, who posed for some "art studies" and wants them back. But the photographer (Jerry Stiller) turns up dead and Nadine takes off with what she thinks are the negatives. Her soon-to-be-ex-husband, Jeff Bridges, discovers that they are actually plans for the new highway, which could be worth millions for land speculators - like bad guy Rip Torn.

So, comic monkeyshines plus sizzling southern sexual hijinks - fun but not really quite my cup of tea. The southern-ness is maybe a little too mannered, the romance a little too archly white-trashy for my taste. But, hey, it's good to get out of my comfort zone (not too far), and it was very well done. Now I think I want to see Bird on a Wire.

No comments: