Sunday, March 6, 2011

Passion in Fashion

Passion fruit was flavor of the year a few years ago - right after pomegranates, I think. It is still one of my favorites. I love the lilikoi (Hawaiian for passion fruit) jelly that it seems you can only get in Hawaii. I love passion fruit juice, and use it in cocktails whenever I can find it, which is never. I have enjoyed Alize, a French passion fruit and cognac concoction. Recently I discovered PassoĆ£.

It's a passion fruit liqueur, made by Remy Martin (it isn't Brazilian, as the Portuguese name hints). It is very sweet and rather pink, but has a good strong passion fruit flavor. just a splash in orange juice makes a nice refreshing (nearly non-alcoholic drink. That inspired me to make a little rum punch:

Passion in Fashion
1 oz. orange juice
2 oz. rum
1/2 oz. PassoĆ£

Shake over ice and strain into a champagne flute. Top with about an equal amount of chilled sparkling wine.

Honestly, this has a somewhat restrained flavor profile. I think it would be better with lemon instead of orange, to cut sweetness. Grounds for future research.

1 comment:

DW said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/dining/15tipsy.html?hpw

Comments?