Thursday, October 14, 2010

Secrets and Clues

Can anyone remind me why I watched National Treasure: Book of Secrets? After all, I fell asleep during the first National Treasure - and I watched that only because I wanted to see the sequel. Oh well, the Netflix queue is a mysterious thing.

Nick Cage is now reconciled with his father, Jon Voight. He is rich and famous due to the last movie. But another historian, played by Ed Harris, believes he has evidence that Cage's ancestor was part of the plot to kill Lincoln. Clearing his family name will require Cage to find a lot of clues and solve a lot of puzzles, even if it means breaking and entering in Buckingham Palace and kidnapping the president.

This is all fun enough, the actors are great, and there are a bunch I'm not mentioning (e.g. Helen Mirren, Harvey Keitel, Christopher Plummer). My favorite part was Riley, a grad student type who acts as comic sidekick He is natural loser, who would be pretty impressive if he wasn't out-shone by Cage at every turn.

My least favorite part was the family drama:

 a. Nobody cares about your daddy issues, or your daddy's problems with mommy
 b. What's the big damage if your grand^x-father was part of the plot to kill Lincoln? I had ancestors who were slave owners, and one who was hanged for cattle-rustling. We consider them to be disreputable but quaint.

All in all, this should have been better. I blame it all on weak writing - I guess they figured that enough money for effects would cover that up. Nice try.

Anway, as long as there isn't a National Treasure 3, I'm done.

No comments: