Monday, June 8, 2009

The Captain's Nuts

We had the neighbors over for cocktails the other day, a rare occurrence considering how much I enjoy playing bartender. To taunt me, one of them brought over a bottle of Captain Morgan's spiced rum, which she knows I hold in little esteem. But after serving a few rounds of margaritas, I got to thinking about Mai Tais, and decided to try something.

The result proved very popular, so I am publishing it here. We call it:

The Passionate Captain's Nuts

3 oz. Passionfruit juice (I like Looza brand)
1 shot Captain Morgan's spiced rum
dash of lime juice
1/2 oz. Macadamia nut liqueur (I use Trader Vic's, but ABC has another brand I don't remember)

Shake and serve over ice with a float of Malibu coconut rum

Theory: The original Mai Tai, invented by Trader Vic or Donn the Beachcomber, was lime juice, dark rum, orgeat (almond syrup) and a float of lighter rum. In the abstract, a Mai Tai is fruit juice, one or more rums and a slight nut flavor. Like the bitters in a Manhattan, it is the nut that makes a Mai Tai a Mai Tai. Macadamia liqueur does the trick.

When I told our friend that I had added a float of Malibu, she reminded me that I had snobbishly dismissed that rum as vulgar, as well as Capt. Morgan. So sue me. It tastes great.

Bonus cocktail: Captain Alexander

1 shot Captain Morgan's spiced rum
1 oz. creme de cacao (dark)
1 oz. cream or half&half

Shake over ice and strain into martini glass. Dust w/ nutmeg

No comments: