Sunday, November 2, 2008

I am Iron Man

If I had to say one thing bad about Iron Man, it would be the limited use of Black Sabbath. In fact, the soundtrack in general was weak. The main theme seemed to quote Led Zep's Kashmir, and there's some AC/DC and Ghostface Killah, but mostly weak, orchestral stuff. Sorry, Ramin Djawadi.

Let's see, what else? I loved Gwenyth Paltrow as Tony Stark's girl Friday, Pepper Potts. However, I couldn't help but think of Annie Potts in the role. She would have played it very much like Paltrow, I think. The same combination of cool competence and flustered klutziness. I don't think I have to tell you how her crush on the boss works out.

Robert Downey Jr. completely owns the role of Tony Stark. A complex character, a charming jerk. There are some slow scenes in the middle (Ms. Spenser fell asleep), where Stark perfects his suit. This is where I fell in love with him - because I am a geek, and he is showing his geek side. There is a scene where he is soldering, and before he sticks the soldering iron in the wire coil holder, he wipes the tip to remove the flux and crud that builds up. All you techies who've used a soldering iron know what I mean. That little gesture sold me.

Did I mention that Ms. Spenser loved this movie? So much so that she wanted to get a "Stark" license plate like all of Tony Stark's cars. She could have gotten "STARK10", but **SPOILER** she chose "NCK FURY".

No comments: