Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hard Cox

I can't quite accept that Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story doesn't have Will Farrell in it. Of course, neither did Dodgeball, so I guess he hasn't cornered the market on this kind of story.

"This kind of story" is a lot closer to Blades of Glory than, say, Spinal Tap. The Christopher Guest fests are shot in a transparent documentary style, so the mocking is on the characters. Blades and Dodgeball mock the form - the inspirational sports film or bio pic. Walk Hard is also a little loopier, more surreal, more Airplane! than the mockumentaries. Very little like the realistic comedy of Apatow's Knocked Up.

So - funny? I thought I'd die. I haven't seen Walk the Line or Ray, so I probably missed a lot. But the adult sized teenagers ("I'm your 12-year-old girlfriend!"), the self-identified celebrities ("Even I, the Beatles' George Harrison,...") and stunt casting (Jack White as Elvis, Jack Black as Paul McCartney), great gags. Dewey's songs, pulled from the R&B, rockabilly, teen pop, punk, Dylan, Doors and Brian Wilson studiofests, are great - maybe too good to be silly.

Be sure to stay after the credits for a glimpse of the real Dewey Cox. The man, the legend.

No comments: