Monday, April 21, 2008

Cruelest Cocktail

I not only mix drinks, I also make my own infusions - put some strawberries in a pint of vodka for a week, then throw away the strawberries, drained of all flavor and color, and you have strawberry vodka.

I made up a batch of chili-lime tequila like so:
  • Grate lime peel (one lime)
  • One large jalapeno, quartered
  • One pint tequila
Let marinate for a week, then strain.

This batch came out about as hot as straight Tabasco. A friend had made some clementine liqueur, so I tried to make a Guatemalan Insanity Margarita:
  • 1 shot jalapeno tequila
  • 1 oz. clementine liqueur
  • 1 oz lemon juice
  • Pinch sugar
It was way too spicy to drink. After I diluted it 1-1 with a regular margarita. Brutal. After I poured it out of the glass, and refilled it with a plain margarita without rinsing the glass, it was noticeably spicy.

I saved these cruel cocktails and plan to marinate chicken for grilling in it. And henceforth will use the tequila infusion only like the vermouth in a very dry martini.

No comments: