Monday, November 13, 2023

Mind Like a Gin Trap

 Readers who are reading may note that my frequency of posting has slowed down a bit since Netflix DVDs folded. That is largely because we've been rewatching a lot of movies and I don't re-review when I rewatch. Maybe I should? I often re-read my blog and find that I often disagree with my previous views. But I probably won't bother. 

I also haven't been doing much in the way of cocktails, because I always make my favorite margarita, with a little passion fruit puree. But it turns out this is getting to be less and less true - I even let my tequila run out and didn't bother to buy another bottle. 

Instead I bought some gin. Now, I have a bottle of Empress, the blue gin colored with butterfly pea flower tea that turns purple if you add acids, like lime juice. I got it because it makes beautiful aviations. But then we were watching some BBC nonsense where everyone was drinking martinis. So I wanted a martini, and I don't think Empress is that good in that cocktail. 

In the shop, I looked for the cheapest legit-looking gin available. I'd usually go with Beefeater or Gordon's, but they were out. So I decided to try something called New Amsterdam.

It turns out to be pretty tasty, with a strong lean towards citrus. It would probably go well in a martini with a twist. But I didn't have a twist, or even an olive. So I threw in a pineapple chunk. It made a great garnish.

I've also been making Singapore Sling riffs with it, including a frozen version. 

I think I'll have a Park Avenue next, following up on the pineapple prompt. 

No comments: