Sunday, June 16, 2019

First Contact

We saw Alien (1979) in theater during its first run. We sat behind an 11-year old boy who assured us that he’d seen it many times and would let us know when to hide our eyes. Since then, we’d seen it a few times (I know when to hide now), and Ms. Spenser saw it on an airplane recently and asked to watch it at home.

I don’t know if I need to say much about it. It was as cool this time as every time before. Ms. S. pointed out the score, which I don’t think I’d noticed before - rather classical. As usual, the best part was the camaraderie between the mostly  blue-collar characters, and when it breaks down. Like Veronica Cartwright being so pissed at Sigourney Weaver for trying to quarantine them.

This is also the best version of the Alien as well. In Aliens, there are too many of them, and they are too survivable. But I was happy to see that this movie started the protocol for finding an unknown life form - take off your protective gear and poke it with a finger.

No comments: