Sunday, January 21, 2018

Meta-Post

Just a quick one to praise Netflix: They have been clearing my "Wait/Long Wait" queue faster than usual lately. There are a few on there that I expect to be moved to the "Saved" queue before they get sent to me, but most have turned over - I got what I was waiting for, and could move some others to the top of the queue.

Because the only way to get these "Long Wait" movies is to put them at the top of the queue and get them whenever they can send them.

What kinds of unavailable movies are at the top of my queue? Some are just not quite released yet, like Blade Runner 2049. Once released, they'll send that to me in a week or so - or maybe I'll be the first one to get it! Then there's a couple of obscure rock movie - like Straight to Hell, Alex Cox's (Repo Man) film student Mexi-noir starring Joe Strummer, Elvis Costello, the Pogues, Courtney Hole, etc. Want to watch that? Get in line behind me. I've been waiting ~ 1year.

My "Saved" queue - movies that I want, that Netflix knows about, but they never going let me see - stands at 121. Some of them are obscure documentaries, like AKA Doc Pomus, about the great songwriter of 60s rock. Some of them are probably stinkers that I'm just morbidly curious about, like The Boatniks, or Roller Boogie. But come on, Netflix! Speed! Child's Play, the first Chuckie movie! I want to watch Cult of Chuckie, but need to see all the others first. Joe Dante's Piranha, or Explorers, for that matter.

I don't know if there is any solution to this. I expect Netflix to ignore DVDs more and more, to concentrate on streaming original content. Maybe when they spin DVD.com off as a separate company (which I scoffed at when it was going to be called Qwikster) this will change. Or maybe I should just start using the Saved queue as a shopping list, and buy the damned discs.

No comments: