Thursday, November 30, 2017

Quiz time!

Oh dear, it's film quiz time again over at Dennis Cozzalio's place. And it's a really hard one.

1) Most obnoxious movie you’ve ever seen
Not counting Mystery Science Theater 3000, I'd have to say Gone with the Wind. "I don't know nothing about birthing no babies," my ass.

2) Favorite oddball pairing of actors
I wish I could think of some really incongruous pair, like John Denver and George Burns, but the best I can come up with is Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. And they really are my favorites.

3) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Ken Russell?
How about Iron Man? Make Tony Stark a real playboy, show us another side of Pepper "Sex" Pott?

4) Emma Stone or Margot Robbie?
Emma Stone for body of work. Margot Robbie for Ms. Q. Now I've got one: C.C.H. Pounder or Viola Davis?

5) Which member of Monty Python are you?
The tall one.

6) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Vincent Minnelli?
I was never a fan of his glossy, saturated technicolor, but in Suicide Squad, it might have worked.

7) Franco Nero or Gian Maria Volonte?
Nero is unstoppable.

8) Your favorite Japanese monster movie
Agian, outside of MST3K, I don't watch these. Although I'm intrigued by the new Monster Island franchise. Can I say Latitude Zero?

9) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Stanley Kubrick?
His clean, clear, possibly sterile style might have saved Batman v. Superman.

10) Hanna Schygulla or Barbara Sukowa?
I don't believe I've seen either in anything significant. But I've heard of Hannah.

11) Name a critically admired movie that you hate
There are a lot of critically admired movies that I've never bothered to watch, because they don't seem like my thing (Godfather), so I can't say I hate them. But someone did make me watch Taxi Driver and I didn't care for it. When she fell asleep, I turned it off.

12) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Elia Kazan?
I haven't seen many of his movies, but he's known for message movies, right? Captain America: Civil War.

13) Better or worse: Disney comedies (1955-1975) or Elvis musicals?
I'm not a big fan of Disney animation (except Fantasia), but I suspect you mean the live-action, Dean Jones or Fred MacMurray, That Darn Cat type comedies. Which I kind of like, especially if Haley Mills is in it. But Elvis must win.

14) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Alfred Hitchcock?
I think he could have done a lot to tighten up Ant Man, and maybe add some suspense, while keeping the humor.

15) Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum?
Gosling seems to have some strong acting chops, but he looks like a "sharpie" - cast him for a conman or maybe a shady cop. Tatum has a more generic look, although he looks good in "slab o' meat" roles. Tatum, for flexibility and likeableness.

16) Bad performance in a movie you otherwise like/love
I feel like "Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's" should be the key that unlocks many more, but that's the only one I can think of.

17) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Howard Hawks?
If he remade Captain America, he'd probably punch up the humor.

18) Tippi Hedren or Kim Novak?
OK, I've got a pair of platinum blondes for you: Janet Leigh or Peggy Lee? (Yes, I just saw Pete Kelly's Blues.)

19) Best crime movie remake
Ooh, can I say Maltese Falcon?

20) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Preston Sturges?
Maybe he could be the one to finally do The Incredible Hulk properly. Bring out the horror, keep the pace brisk.

21) West Side Story (the movie), yes or no?
Yes, I kind of like it.

22) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Luchino Visconti?
Again, I haven't seen many of his movies, but I do think he could do something with the X-Men - maybe X-Men: First Class. I think he could handle the swinging 60s/70s milieu in an interesting way.

23) What was the last movie you saw, theatrically and/or on DVD/Blu-ray/streaming?
Theatrically, we saw the RiffTrax presentation of Night of the Living Dead. It was interesting to get back to a theater. On disc, we watched Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth. Without riffing, this brought us down so bad, we didn't try to watch the flipside of the disc - Panic in the Year Zero. Instead we rewatched Animal Crackers.

24) Brewster McCloud or O.C. and Stiggs?
Haven't seen BMcC since ~1976, and OC+S is on my Netflix queue, so I can't really answer now.

25) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Luis Bunuel?
Can he do Dr. Strange? We'd need to add a perverse love affair to seal the deal, I guess. Or should we save it for Jodorowski?

26) Best nature-in-revolt movie
Does The Day the Earth Froze count?

27) Best Rene Auberjoinois performance (film or TV)
I am only really aware of him as Odo, and I never really watched ST:DS9. I know I've seen him in other things, and recognized him, but nothing really stands out.

28) Which movie would you have paid to see remade by Ingmar Bergman?
That's easy: Logan.

29) Best movie with a bird or referencing a bird in its title?
I was thinking Eastwood's Bird (which I haven't seen), but of course, the true answer is Maltese Falcon again.

30) Burt Lancaster or Michael Keaton?
I'm not a big Lancaster fan, but Mr. Mom? Our second silliest Batman? I love Keaton's Dogberry from Much Ado, but it has to be Burt.

31) In what way have the recent avalanche of allegations unearthed in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal changed the way you look at movies and the artists who make them?
I've been overlooking artists personalities for a long while. But it's getting harder. I'm less inclined to watch Polanski or Woody Allen now. But I still watched Baby Driver, even after hearing about Kevin Spacey.

32) In 2017 which is “better,” TV or the movies?
I'd say movies, but they are definitely converging, while diverging from the old customary ways. For one thing, both have gotten into telling long, serial stories, as TV gets less episodic, more "continuity-like", and movies come in 4-5 part trilogies and expanded universes.

Whew, done! The "paid to see remade" questions were especially tough. I had to use a simple trick to get through them. Can you spot it?

No comments: