Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bright and Stormy

I visited San Francisco recently, on the night of the most stunning lightning storm in recent memory. You may have seen the pictures of lightning striking local landmarks. I was visiting my friend DW, whose apartment overlooks AT&T Park - we saw multiple simultaneous strikes around and behind the park. At the time, we were drinking a cocktail that DW had created on the spot, which I have named after this rare atmospheric phenomenon.

It's based on the classic Bermudan Dark and Stormy: black rum and ginger beer, with a lime squeeze. This drink always reminds me of Boston in the winter. You see, I've never been to Bermuda. But I've been to Boston in the winter, and I guess that's when bartenders think longingly of the islands, because that's when it is always on their blackboards. DW's version starts with much more lime, a homemade ginger infusion and a hint of mezcal for a little bitter, smokey mystery.

Bright and Stormy

1/2 lime, muddled with:
2 oz. ginger-infused light rum
Dash of mezcal (Trader Joe's label)

Strain into rocks glass over ice and top with 1-2 oz. ginger beer.

No comments: