Saturday, February 11, 2012

The End

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 brings the 8-film series to an end. And what does that mean?

Other than that the actors are all getting too old to for school, I mean.

I never read any of the Potter books, but I loved the movies. They were brilliantly cast, from the iconic leads to the rogues' gallery of (mostly) British thespians in supporting roles. The several directors all had their own style, but with a unified feel combining wonder, warmth and darkness. Honestly, I didn't really follow the plot too closely. I think you need to read the books to do that properly. And I am not convinced that it even mostly makes sense. But the writing on a scene-by-scene basis was always first rate. These 2-hour-plus movies went by in a flash.

And now, all eight have gone by. I wonder if I'll ever want to watch them again. Trailers for the earlier films on this disc showed a shockingly young cast - Now that they are adults, what will happen to their careers? Harry - no, Daniel Radcliffe is in a new Hammer horror film, The Lady in Black. But will he be able to re-invent his image? I don't think he needs to do a Neil Patrick Harris, but he has to be careful about being typecast.

Or who knows? Maybe they all go into real estate or politics, or just life off of the residuals. Good for them, and thanks for all the fun.

No comments: