Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Posting has been a little weaker than usual (which is usually pretty weak) during the holiday season. I've been spending the time with the family up in MA and ME. You'd think with no work and lots of quiet time, I would have at least caught up on 2011 (I'm 2 or 3 movies behind), but no. I resolve to do better in 2012.

But seriously, it was great to get a chance to see the Spenser family and my reader, Mr. Schprock. New England was lovely - We had snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, but not enough to make driving dangerous. Which is good, because my sister's family lives 350 miles from my parents and brother's family, and they live about 15 miles apart. So I also got to spend a lot of time driving around, listening to Filmsack. Great work, guys. Keep it up.

Didn't watch many movies, but we did see Steve Carell's 2008 Get Smart with the nephews. I was pretty worried about this, since we are original series Get Smart fanatics (me and Ms. S - the nephews haven't seen it). Carell and crew manage to get the the essence of the show without actually following the premise very closely. They pay homage to all the classic lines, but Carell never tries to imitate Don Adams. Ann Hathaway is good as 99, putting her own stamp on the role - but at the very end, I swear I heard the ghost of Barbara Feldon speaking through her.

But of course, Feldon is still alive, so that can't be right.

Anyway, as usual, I have no New Year's resolutions, no best of lists, no plans or projects. We will probably re-activate Netflix disk rental sometime soon. We may continue our yearly tradition of watching a different edition of the Ring trilogy, or we may not. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

mr. schprock said...

Very nice seeing both you and Mrs. Spenser. Happy New Year to you both! I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you of my request, a review of "Lonely Are the Brave." Sorry that this movie is apparently only offered in full screen. Too bad.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Lonely_Are_the_Brave/70118317?trkid=496624