Saturday, August 13, 2011

Gen X

Genever is a mystery to many Americas, who don't even know it is pronounced, more or less, "yenay-ver". Not my gin loving friend DW. He knows that this Dutch liquor, flavored with and named after juniper, is the predecessor of English gin. He is well versed in the flavor profiles of classic and modern artisanal gins and genevers. At a recent meeting, he introduced me to the Gen-Gin, a variation on the classic 2-ingredient cocktail, the gin and ginger:

2 oz. Bols Genever
2 oz. Reeds Extra Ginger Beer

Mix over ice in an old fashioned glass.

Chin chin!

2 comments:

DW said...

Grating fresh ginger into the glass also helps.

My question is this: what's it called when you add a couple of limes, muddling them with the genever and maybe some sweetener (like a capirinha)?

Beveridge D. Spenser said...

I missed that part of the prep.

Gin and fresh lime with soda water is a Lime Ricky. Gin and Rose's lime is a Gimlet - I suppose you could use fresh lime.

I guess you need to tell me.