Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Love in Bloom

Everybody loves a good con-artist movie, right? I know I do. How about whimsical romantic fantasies about cons? Still with me? Then: The Brothers Bloom.

The Bloom brothers, Stephen and Bloom, are the world's greatest con artists. From their orphaned childhood, elder brother Stephen (Mark Ruffalo) would write a con for younger Bloom (Adrian Brody) to pull. Due to Stephen's artistry and Bloom's acting, they never failed. Now, these are not hardened grifters, but poets of the con. They even wear little con-men hats - like little bowlers, or the hat Chico Marx wore - but on them, it works.

Bloom wants to quit the racket, but Stephen has one more job - a beautiful, naive reclusive rich girl (Rachel Weisz). Secluded in her mansion, she takes up strange hobbies like harp and banjo, but the brothers Bloom will introduce her to life and love, and fleece her for all she has. But will Bloom fall in love? Take a look at Adrian Brody's long soulful face and guess.

The Bloom's demolition expert, silent blonde Japanese girl punk Bang Bang (Rinko Kikuchi) adds comedy relief and a nice human touch.

This is Rian Johnson's second feature after Brick - a hardboiled detective story set in a modern day So. Cal. high-school. This is just as stylized, but whimsical where Brick was tough. It's not as shocking, but I enjoyed it.

2 comments:

mr. schprock said...

I'll definitely add this to the queue. I liked Brick, but I had to watch it with subtitles or I wouldn't have gotten half of it. "Who are you eating with?" Great movie.

Beveridge D. Spenser said...

My favorite line in Brick was "The gorilla blows or I clam". Took me a long time to decipher that one.