Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Dawn


Does everybody remember the Aviation cocktail? Gin, lime juice, maraschino liqueur and creme de violette? Popular in the 1930s and later 2000s? Anyway, it's a delicious drink - it owes it's flavor mainly to the maraschino and it's color to the violet liqueur.

I recently made some blueberry infusion (1/8 cup of dried blueberries soaked in 8 oz. vodka for ~1 week), which I didn't actually like much. The blueberry flavor isn't that pronounced, and there is a woody overtone, like I'd left some of the twigs attached. Nice color though.

So I tried substituting my infusion for the creme de violette in an Aviation. You see the result at left. The blueberry infusion is a very dark purple or crimson - unfortunately not blue. It dilutes to the red or pink of a dawn sky. Thus:

Dawn of Aviation
1 shot gin
1 oz maraschino
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz blueberry infusion

1 comment:

DW said...

Hi Sensei,
Okagasamade, just had Angel's Kiss and Angel's Blush, though without heavy cream I'm sure the result would not have impressed any bartender.

I look forward to learning more new drinks.