Monday, October 29, 2007

Tout la Bande

I must first insist that I am not a nouvelle vague, French foreign cinema fanboy. Sure, I've watched some Godard, some Truffaut, but I'm not obsessed. I just wanted to see Anna Karina dancing the Madison.

I hadn't seen Bande à part (Band of Outsiders), but I had heard a lot about it - the debt to American noir, the revolutionary technique, the race through the Louvre. But mostly, the Madison.

In short, innocent Anna Karina meets two punks in English class. They have a plan to rob a boarder at her aunt's house. We never meet this boarder, or find out why he keeps a large pile of money in an unlocked wardrobe. We never learn anything about anyone, really.

But in the middle of the movie, in a cafe, one punk invites Anna to dance. With the jukebox playing, Anna and her two punks start in. It's a sweet little dance routine, with a step, a wiggle, a clap, 3 snaps and a turn, and so on. The music stops, the dance continues.

No comments: