Thursday, June 23, 2011

Robot Monster Meets Bikini Babes - in Space!

I couldn't tell you how Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster got into my queue. I suppose someone described it as a combination Monster-a-Go-Go meets Mars Needs Women, with bikini girls, and I fell for it.

The movie starts out with a lot of stock footage of the space program, and that sort of sets the tone. That tone is a combination of garage rock and stock footage. We meet our antagonists - a Space Babe and her weird sidekick Nadir in a flyng saucer, who destroys NASA with his catch phrase, "Maximum energy!"

Then we meet Astronaut Frank, who is secretly a robot ("Frankenstein", get it?). His mission is scrambled, along with his face, by the saucer, and everybody lands in Puerto Rico. NASA sends its best team to recover it: a bland scientist and his hot assistant. They hop on a Vespa and take off on a romantic tour of San Juan while the sub-Beatles-esque love theme plays.

So, more bad costumes, cheap props, military stock footage, very few bikinis (I was promised bikinis!), "our weapons are powerless", etc, etc. It's enthralling really.

I think this movie calls for a remake. I want the doughy general played by Joe Flynn. But since he's dead, let's get Jack Black. I want someone bland for the scientist - Keanu Reeves has the right emotional range, but has too much charisma. Maybe Megan Fox for the evil Space Queen. But most of all:

Nadir: played by Jon Lovitz

Frank: played by Jim Carey

Who do you want to cast? And is it worth watching to find out?!?!??

2 comments:

mr. schprock said...

Watching the trailer I noticed it was filmed in "Futurama." How bad could it be?

Beveridge D. Spenser said...

If you've watched the trailer, I think you can knock off. You've suffered enough, it only gets worse.